Privacy Statement under the General Data Protection Regulations
Africa Research Institute (ARI) is a Registered Charity, number 1118470. We comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, and electronic communications are made in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
Right to privacy
When you subscribe to an email alert we collect:
- Your name, email address and organisation. Only the email address is mandatory to ensure receipt of future communications from ARI
We may also collect information about whether you have opened emails from Africa Research Institute.
When you visit www.africaresearchinstitute.org, our web server registers your visit through the use of so-called cookies, i.e. small data files with a unique ID that makes it possible to recognise returning visitors. The web server will first of all store general information about your visit – e.g. which pages you have visited, the time of your visit and the duration of your visit. We use this information to generate statistics of our website traffic. We do not register your computer’s IP address.
We may also collect basic personal data through personal contact or when you register for, or attend, an ARI event.
Your basic contact details are used to inform you about ARI events and publications. We will never communicate with you on behalf of a third party.
You can unsubscribe by using the link at the end of any communication you will receive from us or by emailing [email protected]
We do not hold any sensitive or intrusive data within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
Storage and retention of your personal data
We will retain your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose it was collected. If you inform ARI that you wish to unsubscribe, your personal data will be securely deleted.
All personal data you have provided to ARI will be stored securely, both physically and electronically, under lock and key password protected. ARI has an information security process in place to oversee the effective and secure processing of your personal data. Access to the data is strictly limited to the Data Protection Officer.
ARI will never disclose your personal data to any third party.
The only exception will be in the event of a need to comply with a legal obligation to an organisation such as the Police, for the purposes of prevention and detection of crime.
Your personal data is securely managed and stored in-house, using ARI IT systems. However, we do use a third party, Mailchimp, for email alerts and subscription services. Mailchimp has staff based outside the European Economic Area and stores your data in the US. Mailchimp is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield framework.
ARI will ensure you can exercise your rights in relation to the personal data you provide to us.
- Where we are relying on your consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw that consent or unsubscribe from our services at any time
- You can ask ARI to update your personal data if it changes
- If you have any privacy-related questions or unresolved problems relating to the use of your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer by phone (+44 207 222 4006) or mail (Africa Research Institute, 55 Tufton Street, London SW1P 3QL)
- You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (www.ico.org.uk), the supervisory authority, about ARI’s collection and use of your personal data
31 May 2018